NWSS Replacement Project - New Westminster Secondary School Replacement Project
PHASE 1 CONSULTATION SUMMARY REPORT NOW AVAILABLE
Thank you to everyone who participated in the New Westminster Secondary School Replacement Project public and stakeholder consultation, from November 7 to December 5, 2016. Input received during this round of community consultation will be considered, along with financial and technical information, in the design for the new secondary school.
There were a total of 214 public and stakeholder interactions during the NWSS Replacement Project Round 1 Community Consultation. Community members were encouraged to participate in the consultation by attending open houses, small group meetings, filling in a hard copy or online feedback form or providing a written submission by email or mail. All consultation materials were available online at newnwss.com.
During the consultation period, which ran from November 7 to December 5, 2016:
- 102 completed feedback forms were received (87 online, 15 hard copy)
- 86 people attended two public open houses
- 21 people attended two small group meetings
- 5 written submissions were received through email
In addition to providing feedback on the draft Project Aspirations, many participants shared comments related to the design of the new school, and some expressed an interest in providing input on the design in the future. We understand and appreciate all feedback, and will explore opportunities to incorporate design input into our consultation plan moving forward. We’ll share an update on our consultation plan and activities soon.
The Consultation Summary Report summarizing input received during this round of consultation can be downloaded here.
View Appendix 1: Notification Materials here.
View Appendix 2: Discussion Guide and Feedback Form here.
CONSULTATION TOPICS: BOARD OF EDUCATION — PROJECT ASPIRATIONS
Consultation materials, including a Discussion Guide and Feedback Form and an online feedback form, were available online from November 7 to December 5, 2016. The New Westminster Secondary School Replacement Project held two open houses and two small group meetings to provide information about the Project and to collect feedback from stakeholders and the public regarding project aspirations for the new school.
The Board of Education for New Westminster Schools has developed 10 project aspirations for designing and building the new school:
- Build a school that will support the evolving learning environment
- Create a school with the flexibility to meet the needs of a rapidly changing society
- Develop a sustainable design that will minimize impacts on the environment
- Develop a design with an emphasis on healthy students, teachers and staff
- Respect, protect and preserve the historical and cultural significance of the site
- Create spaces that consider the role of rapidly changing technology in the ways students learn
- Create opportunities for school community engagement
- Create learning spaces where students and staff interact outside of the traditional classroom environment
- Make teaching and learning spaces visible
- Design a school that inspires and nourishes creativity