News & Features - What’s happening now
Talk to your kids about drugs: A message from the Provincial Health Officer
June 2017 – Provincial Health Officer Dr. Perry Kendall has issued a letter strongly encouraging parents and guardians “to talk about substance use with the youth in your lives.” Please read his advice on what you need to know to keep your kids safe in the current illegal drug overdose crisis in BC.
“We hope that with your help in speaking to the youth in your life as they go into year-end celebrations and new activities in the summer months, we can avoid preventable tragedies,” Dr. Kendall says. The letter provides links to resources on reducing harm and preventing overdose, as well as to articles on how to talk to kids, teens and adult children.
Turning the tide on the crisis…
- information on reducing harm and preventing overdose
- articles about how to talk to kids, teens and adult children at HealthLinkBC.
- the story of Leslie McBain who lost her only son Jordan to overdose.
- information about naloxone kits and their use
- treatment and support options, as well as the HealthLink BC call number at 8-1-1 to speak to a health navigator about treatment options and services in your area.