Safe and Caring Schools
New Westminster Schools is committed to creating and maintaining a respectful, welcoming and nurturing environment for all staff, students and families. Why? Because learning and growing is impossible if you don’t first feel safe and welcome. And we take that very seriously.
Incidents of bullying, harassment or intimidation and other types of serious misconduct are addressed in ways that restore or strengthen relationships. At New Westminster Schools, we foster positive school cultures and strives to ensure that every child, youth and adult has the opportunity to be and feel their very best when learning with us.
Safe and caring school environments are free from acts of:
- bullying, cyberbullying, harassment, threat and intimidation
- violence of any form
- verbal, physical or sexual abuse
- discrimination in any form
Safe and caring school environments do not tolerate the presence of:
- intoxicating or banned substances;
- weapons (or replica weapons) and explosives; and
- intruders or trespassers
How do we achieve all of this? Through layers of policies, teaching opportunities, support networks, tools and resources, we are working to build and deliver on the systems and practices kids, families and our staff can count on to keep them safe.
See other pages in this section for more specific information on :
- Bullying prevention and the 2018 BC Ministry of Education erase website (Expect Respect & a Safe Education)
- SOGI 123 (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity)
- Emergency Management Protocols
- Code of Conduct
- Violence Threat Risk Assessment
- Best Routes to School
- Incident Reporting