Fraser Health notification process
In a letter to districts and administrators, sent on Friday September 10th, Fraser Health confirmed what all schools and communities can expect in this region, as it pertains to their notification and contact tracing processes … as we all work to support a safe return to schools.
The below messaging is pulled straight from the Fraser Health letter:
As per provincial direction, public health will notify staff and students who need to take a specific action, such as self-monitoring or self-isolation, as a result of a COVID-19 exposure. The school community will be notified when appropriate, such as in the case of an outbreak, and this will be posted to our website.
Public health will continue to provide contact tracing for all positive cases of COVID-19 in schools:
• If a student or staff member is confirmed to have COVID-19, and were potentially infectious while they were at school, public health will investigate to determine if there were any potential close contacts within the school.
• If it is determined that there are close contacts within the school, public health will notify the school administrators and request information to assist with contact tracing and provide guidance on what steps should be taken.
• Public health may then:
– Recommend 14-day self-isolation if necessary
– Recommend self-monitoring for symptoms if necessary
– Provide follow-up recommendations if necessary
• Schools will ensure students who are required to self-isolate are able to continue their educational program. Together, schools and public health officials will determine if any other actions are necessary.
• Parents, caregivers and families will be notified by public health if their child is determined to be a close contact of a COVID-19 positive person.
At both a District and school level, please know that we will continue to support Fraser Health in accessing any information they may require, and in providing communication support as required. Where need may arise, know that we continue to be deeply committed to ensuring the continuity of learning for our students and families, as we all continue to work through this health crisis together.
You can learn about the health and safety protocols that are keeping New Westminster Schools safer here: https://newwestschools.ca/daily-health-checks-and-safety-plans-for-2021-22/