NWSS Replacement Project - Community Consultation
ROUND 2 COMMUNITY CONSULTATION
Round 2 community consultation is being planned now and will take place in early 2018. Students, teachers, parents, and the community will be asked for input on topics related to the design of the new school, as well as construction mitigation measures. Similar to Round 1, this second round of consultation will include a variety of opportunities to participate and provide feedback online, in person and by mail. Participants will be invited to complete a feedback form online or in hard copy, submit written submissions by email or mail and attend consultation meetings. Details about meeting dates, locations, and online opportunities will be provided as soon as they are available.
If you would like to be added to our notification email list to receive project and consultation updates, please provide your email here .
We continue to engage with First Nations communities, the Chinese Benevolent Association, the Legacy Initiatives Advisory Council, Inclusion BC, and other organizations that represent communities with a history or potential history of ancestral burials on the site. A Memorialization Advisory Committee (MAC) has been struck and held an initial meeting on June 12, 2017 to consider how best to memorialize the dedicated and protected areas of the site that are known to have been used for burials. We will provide updates to the community as the planning progresses on this component of the development.
ROUND 1 COMMUNITY CONSULTATION (COMPLETE)
There were a total of 214 public and stakeholder interactions during the NWSS Replacement Project Round 1 Community Consultation. Community members were encouraged to participate in the consultation by attending open houses, small group meetings, filling in a hard copy or online feedback form or providing a written submission by email or mail. All consultation materials were available online at newnwss.com.
During the consultation period, which ran from November 7 to December 5, 2016:
- 102 completed feedback forms were received (87 online, 15 hard copy)
- 86 people attended two public open houses
- 21 people attended two small group meetings
- 5 written submissions were received through email
In addition to providing feedback on the draft Project Aspirations, many participants shared comments related to the design of the new school, and some expressed an interest in providing input on the design in the future. We understand and appreciate all feedback, and will seek input on topics related to the design of the new school in Round 2.
- The Consultation Summary Report summarizing input received during this round of consultation can be downloaded here.
- View Appendix 1: Notification Materials here.
- View Appendix 2: Discussion Guide and Feedback Form here.
CONSULTATION TOPICS: BOARD OF EDUCATION — PROJECT ASPIRATIONS
The Board of Education for New Westminster Schools developed 10 project aspirations for designing and building the new school:
- Build a school that will support the evolving learning environment
- Create a school with the flexibility to meet the needs of a rapidly changing society
- Develop a sustainable design that will minimize impacts on the environment
- Develop a design with an emphasis on healthy students, teachers and staff
- Respect, protect and preserve the historical and cultural significance of the site
- Create spaces that consider the role of rapidly changing technology in the ways students learn
- Create opportunities for school community engagement
- Create learning spaces where students and staff interact outside of the traditional classroom environment
- Make teaching and learning spaces visible
- Design a school that inspires and nourishes creativity