Programs & Services - Early Learning - StrongStart
StrongStart Early Learning Centres are free drop-in centres for pre-school children age 0 to 5 and their parents or caregiver. Qualified early childhood educators facilitate learning activities such as story time, music and art to help children get ready for kindergarten. Parents and caregivers are provided with an opportunity to discover new ways to support their children’s learning at home, and make valuable connections to both the school and community.
New Westminster Schools currently has three StrongStart centres, located at Queensborough Middle School in Queensborough, Richard McBride Elementary School in Sapperton and Connaught Heights Elementary School in the west end. The programs are free and are open for three hours a day, five days a week. Families using the Centres are asked to register and provide one piece of ID verifying their child’s name and date of birth. Registration forms are available at the centres or can be completed prior to attending by downloading the 2019-2020 form here.
Please note: Strong Start opens at Connaught Heights elementary school and Queensborough Middle School on September 11, 2019 and at Richard McBride elementary school on September 16, 2019.
To register for StrongStart, please complete our 2019-2020 form, and bring it in to a New Westminster Schools StrongStart program you wish to attend.
Please bring the following original documentation to the StrongStart Centre Facilitator for verification:
- Proof of birth date for the student (birth certificate or passport);
- Proof of guardianship (as shown on child’s birth certificate, or other appropriate legal documentation, such as landed immigrant document or guardianship order);
- Canadian citizenship or immigration status for both the parent and the student (birth certificate, citizenship card, passport, landed immigrant document, permanent resident card, enhanced driver’s licence or enhanced identification card);
- Proof of address (purchase or rental agreement, utility bill, etc.)
- See Required Acceptable Documentation pdf here.
Documents which are helpful, but not required:
- Health documents (care card, immunization records, medical condition information).