Programs & Services - Fuel Up! School Lunch Program - Subsidy
Fuel Up! Subsidy
Eating healthy food helps children to do better in school.
To ensure that no child goes hungry, and every child eats healthy while at school, partial or full subsidies are available to families through Fuel Up!
Interested in learning more about applying for support to help your child and family? Need help to help bridge a short-term gap or to provide more stability throughout the year? Please read the below section to see if you qualify for a subsidy.
Does my family qualify for a subsidy for the school nourishment program?
A parent or guardian must be:
- A resident of B.C. (you must have a current B.C. address)
- A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection
Reason for the request
Parents must provide one of the following reasons for requiring subsidy:
- Loss of job (regular income)
- Low income (see below)
- Attending school
- Participating in an employment program
- Looking for work (only one parent or guardian)
- Living with a medical condition that interferes with your ability to care for your child
- You have been referred by a Ministry of Children and Family Development or Delegated Aboriginal Agency social worker.
- The family provider has recently lost their job and the family financial resources are stretched.
- The family is living below poverty in British Columbia: A family of four is impoverished, according to Statistics Canada, if it has an annual after-tax income of $41,866 or less, including all money from government programs such as the federal child benefit payment. The family does not receive a living wage in BC: A living wage in BC is the hourly rate required for two working parents to meet the basic needs of a family of four. Currently, the minimum wage in BC is $12.65/hour, but the living wage in metro Vancouver is $20.91/hour.
- A family that is receiving additional social support including a referral to Quest.
Interested applying for the program?
To submit your confidential application, complete the Fuel Up subsidy application form (or click the icon below).
Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that, while every effort will be made to provide allergen free meals, common food allergens are all utilized in our caterer’s kitchen. Cross contamination is always a possibility. If your child has severe allergies, we recommend packing a meal from home.