Protocols and practices: Health and safety measures for the 2022-23 school year
Health and safety will always be a top priority here at New Westminster Schools.
In the 2022-23 school year, here are some of the health and safety protocols and expectations that will continue to keep our schools as safe as possible:
- Each day parents and caregivers are responsible for assessing the health of any student who will be attending school. Every staff member is also responsible for assessing their health before entering a school building or other district site. Anyone who has new or worsening symptoms is expect to follow the guidelines provided by the BC Centre for Disease Control, or that of a health provider, on whether or not a COVID test is required and what to do next.
- Do not attend school or work if you are sick.
- Mask wearing will continue to be supported as a personal choice. Disposable masks will continue to be available at each site for those who need or want one.
- Our ventilation systems at each site will continue to be run at maximum capacity, with filters changed at the regular and recommended intervals. (See below for ventilation system overviews.)
- Each portable in the district has been equipped with a portable HEPA filter unit.
- Hand washing and/or hand sanitizing stations are available at each site, including in portables.
Throughout the year we will continue to monitor the evolving health and safety conditions, adapting as recommendations shift and require revisions.
As updates are made to the Communicable Disease Plan, we will share the latest versions of the plan here: New Westminster Schools Communicable Disease Plan – 4.0
(Version 4.0 was updated August 30, 2022)
Our Facilities team has been working exceptionally hard to make sure our schools are maximizing our systems at each site. Here are some things to know about ventilation in New Westminster schools:
- Thanks to the newer construction of many of our New Westminster schools, in collaboration with proactive years of upgrades to others, we are meeting or exceeding the recommended standards wherever possible.
- All filters – at every school and site – are replaced on a regular schedule throughout the year.
- Our Facilities team has ensured that we continue to run our ventilation at full capacity, as we maximize the circulation of clean air at each school.
- And we have added portable HEPA filter units to every portable in the District.
Below are overviews of the ventilation systems that are currently supporting each school and site. Where there may be changes or upgrades to the overall systems or capacity, these will be updated.
- Ventilation System Overview – Connaught Heights Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – FW Howay Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Herbert Spencer Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Lord Kelvin Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Lord Tweedsmuir Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Qayqayt Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Queen Elizabeth Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Skwo:wech Elementary
- Ventilation System Overview – Fraser River Middle
- Ventilation System Overview – Glenbrook Middle
- Ventilation System Overview – Queensborough Middle
- Ventilation System Overview – Hume Park Learning Centre
- Ventilation System Overview – MIT Building (Maintenance & IT)
- Ventilation System Overview – School Board Office
- Ventilation System Overview – Columbia Square Learning Centre
Should you have further questions about ventilation, please contact our Maintenance team at: firstname.lastname@example.org