Resources - Parents' Night Out
Parents’ Night Out
Welcome! The Parents’ Night Out (PNO) Committee has been offering free, high quality education nights for parents and caregivers in New Westminster since 2007. Our goal is to gather information about issues affecting children and youth … and we recruit experts in the field to share insights, tips and offer support to families with questions or who want to learn more.
The PNO Committee is normally made up of representatives from:
- District Parent Advisory Council
- Fraser Health
- New Westminster School District
In light of the limitations around COVID-19, the regular schedule of four events a year may be modified.
Coming up: SOGI and what that looks like in schools
Over the course of the last year we’ve had great opportunities to connect with parents around Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. And we’ve heard you say that you you want more support in learning about what these lessons look like in schools, and how you can participate in the conversations.
That’s why we’re so excited to be welcoming Bryan Gidinski – Burnaby’s District Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Support Teacher for Elementary Schools. Bryan will be sharing insight about why SOGI inclusive education has become a part of school context, and will speak to the kinds of conversations or lessons learners might encounter in their school.
Join us for this safe and inclusive conversation that will provide better insights into how we can all better support students and all members of our school communities.
What: SOGI in our schools
When: May 5, 2022 – 6:30 to 8:00 pm
How: Event is free and will be hosted over Zoom, registering in advance is required. (Click here to register, the link will be emailed to you before the meeting.)
Past event(s) to watch again:
- What: Clinical Counsellor Suzanne Vardy and Teacher-Educator and Coach Miriam Miller joined New West parents as they discussed the impact COVID is having on social connections and our emotional resources … offering parents tips and practical strategies on how to better support their kids and themselves through a challenging time.
- When: February 4th, 2021 – 6:30-8 pm
- With thanks to our expert presenters who agreed to let us record and share the session as it continues to be so relevant … to help support any parents who missed it, you can watch the session below.
Interested in past resources we’ve shared on vaping? You can find that here: https://newwestschools.ca/vaping-resources/