Winter weather procedures for possible closures
In preparation for the possibility of severe weather conditions, we would like to remind you that all schools in the New Westminster School District will remain OPEN, if at all possible, during the colder and potentially snowy or icy weather this winter may bring.
In rare instances where a school closure is warranted, we will endeavour to announce the decision by 6:30 am or soon thereafter. There are a few different ways you can check to see what’s happening:
- Emails will be made to parents and caregivers who are part of the School Messenger system
- A notice will be posted on the District websites: https://newwestschools.ca/
- You can follow our District’s social media channels, as notifications will be posted there:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/newwestschools
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/newwestschools
- And a list of school closures is also usually read on CKNW (AM 980) and CBC (AM 690).
Student safety is our top priority and we ask that if a parent/caregiver feels their child cannot travel safely to or from school, then they should make alternate arrangements for the day. Student absences due to unsafe travel during incliment weather conditions will of course be excused. We recommend you make tentative plans in advance, to help prepare your family for a possible unexpected closure this winter or the possible inability to safely travel to school.
If you have any questions, please speak with your school’s Principal.