Our Schools - Alternate Programs - POWER Alternate Secondary School
About POWER Alternate Secondary School
POWER Alternate Secondary School is now in its new location at
#200 – 1065 Columbia Street, New Westminster, B.C., V3M 6H7 —
still in the Columbia Square Shopping Center (just across from Boston Pizza)
and just two blocks west of the New Westminster Skytrain Station.
New Westminster Schools is home to the POWER Alternate Secondary School, an innovative and unique learning opportunity for students 16 to 18 years of age. POWER Alternate Secondary School offers students high school graduation with the Dogwood Diploma and incorporates academic and work experience opportunities, individualized support and instruction, as well as recreational and artistic experiences.
In addition, POWER Alternate Secondary School offers a variety of structured and self-paced courses, each following the prescribed BC Ministry of Education curriculum. Each term, a different combination of grade ten, eleven and twelve courses is offered. Students take all of the required courses for their high school diploma. The school’s educators are certified by the BC College of Teachers.
For further information or to register in POWER , please call our Youth Care Worker at 604-517-6141.
POWER Alternate Secondary School offers…
- High School Graduation in a smaller supportive environment with flexible individualized schedules and timetables
- Three terms per year, each with a different set of structured courses. Equal semesters offer students a chance to focus on fewer courses each term, while still completing numerous courses in a school year
- A sense of community through the sharing of breakfasts, lunches and celebration meals, as well as through various fun activities, events, field trip and outings
- Regular meetings between student and teacher that fosters an understanding for individual circumstances and monitors attendance and progress
- Personal therapeutic counselling, as well as connections to external resources
- Recognition Day – a celebration in July for all students who have completed courses and special recognition for graduates
At POWER Alternate Secondary School, education isn’t done to you, but done with you!
For information contact us at:
Address: 200 – 1065 Columbia Street
New Westminster, BC V3M 6H7
Phone: 604-517-6141 Fax: 604-517-6169
Visit the links below for more:
Click here to view Street Map
Calendar and Schedule
Power Alternate School: Events and Notices
Power Alternate School Links
Power Registration Information
Power Alternate School Self-Paced Courses
Power Alternate Secondary School Staff Contacts