We are excited to announce that New Westminster Schools will be opening a pilot preschool program called Queensborough JUST B4! This play-based program is specially designed to support our future young learners in the year leading into kindergarten … setting them up for success as they get used to the structures and social skills that will help them transition smoothly into their start at school.
Queensborough JUST B4 preschool program is centred around creating a caring, play-based learning environment for children. Our program is designed to create a safe, happy, and nurturing environment aligned with BC’s Early Learning Framework. And it is specifically designed to support young learners in the year before they enter kindergarten.
The overall goal of our approach is to foster a ‘love of learning’ in each child. Our staff are passionate about providing children with a stable, enriching and loving environment. This is accomplished by emphasizing all the areas of a child’s development (emotional, physical, intellectual, creative, social and practical life skills). This program is designed to support “the whole child” as an individual, while we support building stronger connections between kids and families in the community.
The ECE (Early Childhood Educator) trained staff at Queensborough’s JUST B4 Program understand that children naturally desire to learn and explore at a very young age. We strive to enhance this curiosity. This program is designed to be fully inclusive, and Educational Assistants may be arranged for children who have designated needs.
Hours, fees and days of operation
Queensborough JUST B4 will be welcoming children to join the pilot program, which will be run out of the Strong Start Centre at Queensborough Middle School (833 Salter Street, New Westminster). This program has been approved for the Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative, meaning that in September 2023 funding will be invested directly into reducing fees for families we’re supporting.
There will be two different options for families to enroll in:
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12:30 to 2:30pm ($164 per month, after fee reduction), or
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30 to 2:30pm ($126 per month, after fee reduction).
Queensborough JUST B4 Program will follow the school calendar and will be closed all statutory holidays, over Spring Break, through the summer, on professional days, and any day other day the centre may need to close (e.g. if there are snow days or other unanticipated reasons the school may need to close).
Each day children will have a choice of playful and creative activities combined with facilitated group activities that build on each child’s competencies. The schedule will change each day, as various themes and activities evolve, and as student and group interests are identified.
12:30 pm – Welcoming circle and group discussion
Inquiry & activity play centres
Snack (each child will bring their own)
Collaborative opportunities to be creative, listen and tell stories
2:30 pm – Saying goodbye
We are a licensed preschool and will be providing spaces for 12 children in each program (Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs).
The programs will start on September 11, 2023. The JUST B4 programs are:
- Only for children who will be entering kindergarten in the Fall of 2024 (those born in 2019)
While families can apply for both programs to increase the odds of getting a space, each child successfully placed will only be registered for one of the two options available (i.e. either Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs, but not both).
- The initial application process will open on Thursday June 15th, 2023 at 10:00 am.
- Please find the registration form below.
- Staff will reach out to the primary contact listed on the application, with offers for spots in the program and information on next steps.
- Additional registration paperwork and payment set-up will be required before a child starts to attend.
- If the program is full by the time you apply, you will be offered the option to add your name to the waitlist, using the application form.
- Please note: because this is a pilot program, funded by the Ministry of Education and Child Care, we can only register students for the current year. We are not able to accept waitlist applications for future years at this time.
For information on the program, please contact Ileana Neilson at firstname.lastname@example.org