Features & Resources
A career that gives back: Education Assistants in schools
Looking for a new career where you can make a real difference in someone’s life? Love all kids?
Educational Assistants help kids in our community every day – working with parents, teachers and other professionals to support students with exceptional learning needs.
Applications are being taken now for next year’s training program: a one-year program that includes a combination of classroom theory, clinical instruction and mandatory practicum placements.
Qualified EAs are in high demand … including in the growing district we have here in New Westminster. After graduation, participants are welcomed to apply for any open positions!
What does it look like to be an EA?
- 5.5- 6-hour long work days (depending on grade), 5 days a week through the school year.
- A wage of $30.17 an hour (as of July 1, 2021 … with negotiated annual increases to follow), plus excellent benefits.
- Most importantly: providing support that will help kids with exceptional needs be successful, feel loved, and know that they are important members of the school community.
The training program
- This is a diploma program that is offered in partnership with Burnaby Community & Continuing Education.
- Classes in this part-time diploma program will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and most Saturdays from September 14, 2021 until the end of June 2022. They will be operated out of Fraser River Middle School.
- You’ll study and engage in topics ranging from issues in special education to child and youth development, positive behavioural interventions to first aid training … giving you the knowledge and skills to help kids who need a bit of extra support to achieve alongside their peers.
- There are two mandatory practicum placements: a two week placement from November 15 to November 26 and a 4 week placement from April 25 to May 19. The exact details of the placement may be dependant on COVID-related restrictions at the time … as we ensure that staff and student safety is the top priority.
Requirements to apply
Minimum education level is Grade 12 Graduation or the equivalent in any country (proof of highest level achieved required), proof of English language proficiency equivalent to Grade 12 English, and must have experience working or volunteering with school-aged children (minimum of 60 hours recommended).
100% attendance, successful completion of all courses and mandatory in-school practicums, and a minimum 70% final mark for all assignments and assessments.
Interested in learning more?
On April 14th we hosted a virtual informational meeting to provide potential candidates with more information, to give tips and guide them through the application process and to answer any questions that arose.
Here’s the recording of that meeting: https://vimeo.com/537359911
This diploma program is offered in partnership with Burnaby Community and Continuing Education. To find out more about fees and the application process, click through to here: http://www.burnabycce.ca/courses/education-assistant-diploma/
The application deadline for the New Westminster program is May 17, 2021.
For more information, please contact Burnaby Community and Continuing Education at 604-296-6901.