Winter weather – getting prepared
In preparation for the possibility of severe weather conditions, we would like to remind you that all schools in New Westminster School District will remain OPEN, if at all possible, during the colder and potentially snowier weather this winter may bring.
In rare instances where a school closure is warranted, we will endeavour to announce the decision by 6:30 am at the latest. There are a few different ways you can check to see what’s happening:
- Phone calls and emails will be made to parents and caregivers who are part of the School Messenger system.
- A notice will be posted on this website
- You can follow our District’s social media channels, as notifications will be posted there:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/newwestschools
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/newwestschools
- A list of school closures is also usually read on CKNW (AM 980) and CBC (AM 690)
Student safety is our priority and we ask that if a parent/caregiver feels their child cannot travel safely to or from school, then they should make alternate arrangements for the day. Student absences due to unsafe travel during inclement weather conditions will of course be excused. And, as your typical backup plans may be limited this year due to COVID restrictions, we recommend you make tentative alternate plans in advance, to help prepare your family for a possible unexpected closure or the inability to safety travel to school.
If you have any questions, please speak with your school’s Principal.